The Cat In The Hat






I have this cat. No, I have TWO cats! Technically they are both still kittens at 8 months old. What was I thinking!

OK, I know what I was thinking. My other cat of 15 years had died suddenly on Thanksgiving night 2008. He was my cuddle kitty and slept with me every night. Then my husband died in July. He didn't sleep with me every night (he traveled alot), but he most definitely was my other pillow partner. So about a month after Wade died, I adopted two kittens from the SPCA. Went to get one, but they were so cute, and on sale at two-for-one! Seemed logical at the time. Again...what was I thinking!

The first weeks were very difficult. These two urchins loved to climb into the box spring liner under my bed, so there was this tousling that disturbed my already disturbed sleep. Then they would chase each other under the bed and and the constant twanging against the metal cable supports of the bed frame played an unpleasant tune....again disturbing my (lack of) sleep. I tried locking them in the bathroom, but the clawing at the door and constant meowing didn't help. My daughter offered to keep them in her room at night. I couldn't let them roam freely in the house because they are intense counter surfers (a HUGE "pet" peeve of mine!).

Even though these two are litter mates, they have very different personalities and habits. The bigger of the two, Bubba, is a talker. OMG! He won't shut up! And he's the bigger of the two so his constant clawing at the door cannot go unnoticed. Boo, on the other hand, is the meeker (and smaller) of the two. He's petite, graceful and quiet but also demands a lot of attention. He has to always touch me (a good thing), but when I am sleeping and he demands to be petted, it can be annoying.

Bubba's nickname is Brutus. He is the most uncoordinated cat I have ever seen. Rarely does he ever make an intended landing target when he jumps and I have the scars on my legs to show for it. He also has a weird habit of chewing on wicker. None of it is safe, and I mean none of it! He chews on everything. The plastic bag that my blanket came in is full of holes. The tags on power cords, paper, Q-tips (from the trash no less!) and now my straw hat! My closet door is a bi-fold that he has figured out how to open. Apparently last night he was bored. This is what I found when I opened my closet this morning.

Do they make chew toys for cats?















And how could I forget this?


4 comments:

oh my God that is hysterical. i'm sorry but the toilet paper? my puppies did that once. only once. my daughter works with animals so i'm going to tell her about your problems. i'll relate back to you what she says.

but i'm so so sorry but i love the photo of the toilet paper and the fact that you grabbed your camera first.

January 8, 2010 at 5:26 PM  

thanks ... I was having a sob-fest and read your post, and am now laughing. My rottweiler, when he was a puppy, ate the whole, yes the WHOLE bottom step of our staircase. We got home and there was a hole where a step should have been. Completely gone. He also ate a pair of expensive shoes, used CDs as frizbees and chewed through my internet line once. And chewed up an entire catalogue - a big fashion one, the mess was unreal! All worth it though.

thanks for breaking the pity party and making me laugh out loud xx

January 8, 2010 at 5:56 PM  

Forgive me for laughing.

If it makes you feel better, Attila, Err Lacey, DH's rabbit peed on DH's Blu-ray shelf the other day. We spent 20 minutes cleaning out several cases including his precious "limited edition" irreplaceable set of some such title I don't recall. It's all good now but she almost was dinner that night.

She ate through my phone charger cord a few days before. I can't get a new charger until next week. Her and Brutus would have a ball chewing up that hat.

Thank you for the giggle and I am sorry about your hat. I hope you can get a new one.

January 8, 2010 at 6:15 PM  

I am so glad you all had a good laugh. We all need that from time to time, and laughter is good for the soul. Fortunately, I haven't lost anything of great importance, and the hat was not that special. I have others, so it will not be a great loss. But it was funny!

wNs, I worry more about him eating straw/wicker (and who knows what else I don't know about!) and what the possible health risks are for him.

Boo, our lab chewed off every corner of the window sills, so I can sort of relate....but an entire step! Maybe he needed some serious RUFFage. :)

Bethany, laughing at Attila. Love the "pet" names we give our pets.

January 9, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home