Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Hi! Remember me, The Queen of Procrastination? You can tell from my lack of posts that the title is worn very well.

So, I decided to take a peek into a tall storage bin the other day. It is one that has been stuffed with stuff over the years, then parked in the garage or in a closet. I really like this bin because it is a stack of smaller bins that lock together and it is on wheels. Another trait I have is a desire to be crafty, so I buy (read "hoard") supplies. On any given day I could paint, crochet, sew, cross-stitch, bead, make stained glass...you get the picture? Honestly, I haven't actually made anything, but I am prepared.

Which leads to today's post. While going through the bins, I came across a project that has been the source of a good chuckle over the years by my dear hubby, mother-in-law and kids. When my youngest was still crawling, I decided to get into quilting. My MIL was doing it at the time and while she was visiting one day we visited a store and I fell in love with a particular pattern. She helped me select the fabrics and gave me some basic guidance before she went home. I did fairly well getting started; strips were cut, some panels were assembled and some actual pieces were pieced! And then....into the bin it went.

To be honest, I'm not sure what possessed me to take on such a challenge as my first ever quilting project. So here I am 20 years later picking up where I left off. Now THAT is the truest example of procrastination!

Thankfully I found the instructions and had I not already assembled some of the pieces, I might be totally lost. I've been busy assembling the panels from the strips, but am too afraid to make the first cut until I am absolutely certain that I do it right and not waste any fabric. What if I mess up? Where would I ever find the material if I did mess up? So I head to the internet to do a little research.

HORRORS!!!! Every picture I found of this particular pattern have done it differently! There was this one, and this one too. My heart kept sinking with the thought that I had done it all wrong! Then I found this and I'm feeling a bit more confident.

The pattern is called a 9 Degree Tree Skirt and uses a wedge template. On my instruction sheet I had written 60 degrees, plus the fact I had actually assembled some of it gave me some reassurance that I was doing it correctly. Although I don't have any more of the holly fabric, which concerns me.

Here is what I have so far.  The beauty of the pattern is that you get two different skirts when it is done; one is the inverted pattern of the other.  This picture shows the two different (potentially) finished designs along with the template at the bottom.



This is a picture of the strips sewn together.   The largest black fabric is the holly that I only have two pieces left.  I supposed if I have to use something different, I should be able to find something that will work (I hope!).


I'm hopeful that I will at least get one completed in time to use it this Christmas. Ambitious, I know. Especially for me.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home