Well, another holiday is fast approaching and I am left wondering what this new tradition will be like without my husband. We had taken the lead of hosting Thanksgiving over the past six years and hubby was in charge of the bird. His father had been the bird man before his passing an my mother-in-law lost all interest in the holiday after he died. Besides, it was time for her to be picked up and brought over for dinner and treated like the respected matriarch of the family, which she most definitely has earned.

Now we are left to figure out what this new tradition will be. The plan was to do something non-traditional. A steak cookout with those family members who haven't made other plans or who have not ex-communicated themselves from the family for whatever reason. Our youngest daughter has poo-pooed that idea. She has been planning and working towards having a lap band procedure for the past year and stated emphatically that we WILL have turkey and all the fixins because this is her last year to enjoy a no-holes-barred feast before her surgery in January. She has always loved Thanksgiving, so yes, we will be doing the traditional dinner, albeit I won't be cooking for the usual 20+ as in the past.

I just wish hubby was here to prep the bird. I always hated that part.

We'll have steak on Friday.

2 comments:

i pray you have a peaceful day. i'm doing the turkey thing for my son, his girl, and my daughter and her husband. for me it will just be a day of having my children here. that is the special thing. in my head, i'm not calling it Thanksgiving. it's just another day.

November 24, 2009 at 1:33 PM  

All my thoughts and prayers are for you and your family. I know it's hard to celebrate when you lose someone you love.

November 24, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home